Thursday, February 9, 2012

Prompt 4: Occupying Education


I’m sorry for posting this later than usual but I struggled with it a lot. I knew what I wanted to stay and what I want you to think about this week but I kept getting the tone wrong. If I still didn’t get it right please don’t be offended. I tried but sometimes I’m not the writer I want to me. See, even writing teachers sometimes have trouble writing. I did tell you before that writing isn’t always easy, didn’t I?

Unless you’ve been stranded on a desert island with no one to talk to but a volleyball then I am sure you have heard about the Occupy movement. Wikipedia gives us an overview but the essence is that money corrupts politics/government. Whatever you think about the actually Occupy movement (and I don’t want to get into that debate) I think we all have to agree about that! But I like this description of the Occupy movement better: We have questioned the basic assumptions of our institutions and our society and found the answers given wanting.”

There is actually an Occupy Education movement. Some interesting links include:
·         Content vs. skills
·         Definition of education

What are some essential questions that we should be asking about education?

Obviously we could spend a lot of time talking about the failings of the education system (K-12 or K-16) and similarly we could find some of the things that are still being done right, but most of these things are being done TO you as a student. Obviously when you are 5 years old there isn’t much you can do (except perhaps go on a crayon strike and refuse to color in the lines) but now you are adults. What responsibility are you willing to take for your own education? Can you take control of your own education? How? Do you want to Occupy Education to force a change? What changes do you want to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment